As an attorney who has worked for more than twenty-three (23) years with victims of car wrecks, I am often asked about car insurance. There is a type of coverage for auto insurance called Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM) coverage that is usually not well explained by insurance agents yet critical to have if you are in a car wreck and are injured.

UM coverage is the coverage you buy for yourself in case someone causes a wreck and has very little or no insurance to cover your medical bills, lost wages, prescriptions, and future medical treatment. This may be the most important insurance you can have.

At Link & Smith, P.C. we recommend to clients, friends and family that they carry *at least* $100,000 per person in UM coverage of the “add on” variety, not the “reduced by” type. This kind of coverage protects you and your family members — even if not listed as a named insured, and even if you or a family member is riding in someone else’s car. This is the kind of insurance that protects you, a spouse or a child if they are injured in a collision where the at-fault driver has little or no liability insurance.

Please check your auto insurance declaration page (or call your agent) and make certain that you have adequate UM coverage. If you have any questions about your auto insurance coverage, message me on FB and I will happy to discuss your coverage with you.

Houston Smith
Link & Smith, P.C.
Offices in Georgia, Florida and Alabama

P.S. If you find this Tip helpful, please share on your page.